If you are stung by an insect and begin to experience symptoms other than the usual bit of swelling and itchiness, then you may be having an allergic reaction. While mild reactions can be treated safely at home with over-the-counter remedies like hydrocortisone cream, caladryl or oral antihistamines, more severe reactions can be dangerous or even life threatening.
Just like dust, pollen, peanuts and other allergens, some people are allergic to specific insects. When they get bug bites, it can trigger a severe allergic reaction that requires urgent medical care. Severe allergic reactions can cause:
In the most serious cases, bug bites can lead to anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction that requires immediate medical intervention and treatment with epinephrine, corticosteroids and antihistamines. Symptoms of anaphylaxes can begin anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes of getting the bite. They include:
Aside from severe allergic reactions, infected bug bites are another reason you should visit your local urgent care. If the area around your bug bite turns red and begins to swell, you may be experiencing an infection. If you develop one or more of the following symptoms, seek urgent medical care, as these could be dangerous if left untreated:
Some people may become severely allergic to bug bites after years of mild reactions. If you’re experiencing any of the warning signs or symptoms listed above, seek immediate medical care at Coastal Urgent Care of Ruston. We can help alleviate your symptoms and protect you from further complications. We’re open from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Mon-Fri and 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Sat-Sun for immediate, walk-in treatment.